Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hungry Kids of Hungary - 6 August 2010, The Zoo

w/ The Holidays, Artisan Guns

A change in scenery accompanied tonight's gig. Venturing away from The Troubadour, I found myself outside the Zoo for the much anticipated Hungary Kids of Hungary gig. This being their first Brisbane gig in quite some months. Along side these talented lads were two acts that, I confess, had never heard of... Shame on me.

Journeying across the Tasman so grace us with their musical talents, Artisan Guns opened the night with an "acoustic" set. They performed without their drummer, and I did wonder where he was. Maybe he got lost on his way to our beautiful city... However, regardless of this, they put on a darn good show. I have to mention their cover of "Everywhere" by Michelle Branch because it was frigginsweet! It took me a sec to realise that it actually was that song! The chord progression was so dramatically changed that was barely recognisable. T'was pretty cool. I really did enjoy their set, but in the back of my mind I kept wondering what a drummer would bring to the dynamic. A question for another time.

Where to even start with The Holidays. They were amazing and I loved the vibe they brought to stage. The four piece together with their traveling bits percussionist brought some soul into The Zoo this night. T'was brilliant. Having a kit as well as a bits percussionist I would have thought would have been a bit too much, but oh how I was wrong. The addition of congas, bongo, woodblock, sampler along with numerous other bits and pieces added so much! At one stage all the guys bar the frontman ditched their instruments, headed to the back of stage so as to add an extra two sets of hands to the percussion elements, leaving only a guitar and a voice for the melodics. And it was one of the best moments of the set. Pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I shall definitely be looking out for these guys in the future.

And then came the Hungry Kids of Hungary. So, this was my first live Hungries experience, and I was expecting greatness, but holy s*** they were awesome! Just one of their greats after another! I'll admit my ignorance when I say that Kane took lead vocals on more songs than I expected, but I probably should have know this... They played all their standards including "Scattered Diamonds" (probably the highlight of the show for me), "Set It Right" and their new-y "Wristwatch", while also previewing some of the new materiel off their forthcoming album, which I will add should be stellar record. I have nothing more to say about this act except that this band have come so far, and still have such a long way to go.

So tonight's gig reminded me once more never to underestimate an act you've never hear of, and also if you like a particular bands' records, see them live and it will change everything you thought you knew about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment