Thursday, September 15, 2011

Andy Bull & emma louise - 13 September 2011, The Spiegeltent

Andy Bull and emma louise

I's been a good five years since I'd been to the Spiegletent, the last time being Kate Miller-Heidke I'm guessing as part of the Brisbane Festival. Ans as soon as I walked in I remembered just what a beautiful thing the tent is. It's not just the tent itself that is beautiful, it's the whole atmosphere that's created. This is not like a gig at The Zoo, which, although is designed for live music, it's a very social place with a lot of ambient noise. Here, it's just the music. Both emma louise and Andy Bull played to complete silence. I didn't see any phone glows, nor anyone moving to get drinks. There are times and places for venues like this, and these two artists definitely deserve this type of respect every once in a while.

I know I was a bit harsh with emma louise at BIGSOUND, but i figured out what it was that was making me tick. It was the venue. She was not suited to a loud crowd where she is just a bit of background noise, even when people are paying to see her on stage there. She actually said it, "I've played a lot of pub gigs recently and you guys are really quiet. It's a little intimidating." Or something to that extent. Tonight, with the crowd who wanted to listen to, not just see, but actually listen she was stunning. Truly stunning. This is definitely the audience she deserves. Her voice was magical, twisting this way and that with the right amount of dexterity. And you know what? Even though I'd heard her not even a week ago, it was a totally new experience, with what sounded like new songs (even though I'd heard almost all of them previously). They had brand new life in this different setting, as you could actually hear the seep meanings she writes in the melodies and especially in the lyrics. I do apologies emma louise. You have completely turned my views around with this one. I'm converted.

Andy Bull is a completely different kettle of fish entirely to Miss emma louise. In response he her comments on how she staked him on myspace with no response, he joked what we as an audience already hate him. This theme is carried on throughout the set with much humor. And basically, he charms the pants of as all as he goes. Andy Bull is an interesting character in that his voice is just so damn high. I know he would get that a lot but still, it's unique and beautiful. He played a range of his older material, things that were more recent, and some things that he was trialing for the first time. He new songs 'Poison' was an absolutely phenomenal. Towards the end of the set, he welcomed the lovely Tara Simmons on stage for a rendition of 'Dog' which was stunning. He then welcomed Kane, a "Hungry Kid of Hungary" to the stage for his final songs. The thing about Andy Bull. You hear him on record and you like it, love it, however you feel. But then you hear it all live, and it's not just a reproduction of what he's put down on tape, it's a new take on a previously released song. That my friends, is the tell of greatness.

So, wow. Awesome gig. It's obvious the Spiegletent brings out the best in people. I am looking forward to coming back very very soon indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment