Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rare Finds 2011 - 3 December 2011, The Zoo

Trouble with Templeton, Tinian's Boy, Kate Martin, Founds, Teleprompter, Hey Geronimo, The Dead Leaves, YesYou

There was something new and different around Brisbane on the weekend. It was called Rare Finds, and it was insane in the best possible way. Imagine: a dedicated team bringing together fourteen brilliant local bands to play at The Zoo across two stages. Well that’s exactly what this event was! The great thing about Rare Finds was that each band played a half hour set, but if you felt in the mood, you could catch a full set from one band, and then a half set from the band playing on the other stage. This meant you could enjoy a little something from every band... if you were OK with no down time that is. This is exactly what I tried to achieve.

I unfortunately missed Cub Scouts and Kate & Max but from what I hear they were pretty rad first up. I entered just as The Trouble With Templeton started on the Main Stage. The one man act put out some good, upbeat tunes, and this is an achievement for a guy on an acoustic guitar. I wanted to hear more, but instead I moved on to the Laneway Stage to hear some of Tinian’s Boy. I had heard so much about this band, but never heard their songs live. To tell you the truth, this was not the best set to hear them as a first time. Unfortunately, mid set, after a quiet introduction to one of their singles, the power shorted out, leaving the stage with no mics, no amps and no lights. Despite this, the frontman kept on singing, making light of the situation with some interesting lyrics. There were many distressed organisers trying to resolve the problem. After some awkward silence, the frontman got on the drums and played an epic drum solo. After the power came back on, the band finished off their set, making the best of a bad situation. Luckily, this didn’t happen again during the night.

Back on the Main Stage, Kate Martin lit the room with her stunning vocals. The beauty is in her simplicity and lightness. The songs are heartfelt and their meanings explicitly clear. Her backing band complemented her very well in their soft spokenness, however, the harmonies between the keys player and Kate herself, I felt were a little off in places though. Her latest single “Apples” leads the singer on a more mature songwriting path. This is a good thing. When Kate finished it was back to the Laneway Stage to catch the end of New Manic Spree. These guys grooved out hard, especially bass player Gwen Warnick. She was hardcore. Their song structures are really interesting to listen to. Very different to other bands I have heard in some songs, but in others, quite the norm. I don’t know what to make of this band. All I know is that they were fun to watch, which is always a good thing when you’re watching a band.

I’ve heard the name Founds before, but actually had no idea what they were all about. And you know what? They blew my mind. Absolutely blew my mind. First off, the singer was sensational. Her sweet vocals soared so effortlessly over the rest band, who weren’t holding anything back, and carried the group. Also the harmonies between the keys player guy on bass guitar were exquisite. Secondly, I usually comment on how bands have useless members. In this band, everyone had a part. The violin player, the keys player, and even the extra floor tom the lead singer played on occasion. I can’t adequately describe just how much this band surprised me with their talent. I think I have found my new favourite Brisbane band. Back at the Laneway Stage, Teleprompter just didn’t do it for me. It’s hard to follow something that has blown your mind. They did have a good rock feel going on, and I do appreciate that. I didn’t stay long, as I wanted a good spot for my pick on the night Hey Geronimo.

This band is the biggest mish-mash in Brisbane at the moment. The band consists of: Pete and Rosco from Blame Ringo, Greg and Andrew from Montpelier, and Tony from The Boat People. Awesome much? In the first song, a “country ballad” as they called it, it was interesting how each member sang lines of the verses in conjunction with singing the chorus’ in harmony. Not many bands do this, but I think more should. It was clear the Pete on guitar had main frontman duties, but this didn’t stop Greg and Rosco having songs of their own also. This band is insane! Too much fun for one stage! I found myself grinning like a fool as they played, I just couldn’t help myself. They have retained the Blame Ringo feel, but have stepped up the quality of the music. “Why Don’t We Do Something” their latest single, with the video clip that converts iPhone games into real life, was stellar, and just too much fun! They do a bit of everything. Including rap. Go figure. For me, easily the highlight of the night.

I decided to chill for a bit and wait for The Dead Leaves down on the Laneway Stage. I really like the band on record, especially frontman Matt Joe Gow’s vocals, however, now that I’ve seen them live, I am a little disappointed. They are exactly the same in front of you as they are on record. The same inflections in the vocals and everything. It was eerie. I do like this band, but they were just a little boring to watch. It’s good when a band is a little raw on stage, or not perfect. It’s makes them real.

Last up for the night were YesYou with their first ever Headline show. These guys were definitely the most diverse of the night. “The Half of It” the bands’ single, featuring and co-written by James O’Brien from The Boat People, certainly does not sum up this band. They are so much more. Performing along side the due was Miss Tara Simmons. The song that had been co-written with the lovely songstress was a 180 flip from the collaboration with James. And everything else, well it went from one feel to the next. It was pretty rad.

This night was very interestingly awesome gig. It had the likes of Kate Martin and Founds along side that of Hey Geronimo and YesYou. Such a diverse array of bands brings in all types of people, and that’s what made the even so successful. Kudos to the team at Rare Finds, this is the kind of something I want to see more of in Brisbane in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment