Monday, September 16, 2013

The Basics - 12 September 2013, The Spiegeltent

September is a wondrous time for Brisbane arts. It’s when the famous traveling Spiegeltent comes to town as part of Brisbane Festival. Tonight was the return of The Basics. After a three-year hiatus, the band was back with a vengeance to prove themselves as one of the best live acts around.

Where do I even start? As knowledge would have it, The Basics are Kris Schroeder, Tim Heath and Wally De Backer. When they came on stage in their dapper suits bang on 7.15pm (early I know!), the room went bananas. Me included. My one an only previous experience of The Basics was their final ever show before taking a break for an undisclosed period of time.

They played mostly songs from their early releases with a handful of new songs thrown in as well. They did this as the 'late' show was going to feature some newer material. They opened without saying a word playing “The No. 1 Cause of Death Amongst Youth Today”, which is such a strong song to start with. They then began the friendly banter that would continue for the rest of the evening. I’m going to provide you with some insight form the minds of these men throughout the review starting with Wally asking after the first song to have 'A bee’s dick more foldback. I can’t hear my voice', Kris then went on to pay out Wally’s 'beautiful' voice.

Speaking of Mr De Backer, he is sensational on the drums. I was fully expecting him to break a cymbal or at least a stick or two! Also, he looks so incredibly happy when he plays the drums. And everytime something maybe wasn’t perfect, he would have a little chuckle and smile to himself. By the time they reached “Rattle My Chain” and “Memory Lane”, they had the audience in the palms of their hands. It made me laugh when they introduced the year of one of these songs and they couldn’t actually remember when they first recorded it and a member of the audience corrected them.

Wally’s newbie “Roundabout” proves that you don’t need genius lyrics to have a sensational song. The word roundabout was used more than few time in the song but that didn’t lessen the beauty of the song. Their final song of the set was Tim’s song, “Hey Rain” which he dedicated to Northern Queensland. It was simply stunning to hear all three men singing in luscious harmony with only Tim’s guitar for accompaniment. It was still the Basics as we know and love them, just in a more mature way.

Of cause they came back for an encore. Everyone knows it’s not over till the house music comes on! Kris lead the band in a somber break-up song with actually brought a tear to my eye. His voice has such a fine, tight vibrato that just envelops all around it. The songs as a whole was just too beautiful, and as I write this memories come flooding back of the mood he created. Think “All or Nothing”, but even more intense.

They finished their hour and a bit long set with two covers. I thought it appropriate that they perform The Beatles’ “Come Together”, as they to me are a modern Beatles when they play in that true rock’n’roll genre. They then played their version of The Police’s “Roxanne”. After the first verse, Wally said, 'Oo, that was a bit fast wasn’t it!' Immediately, the next verse was slower. Incredible!

This has got to be one of the best gigs I’ve been to in a long time. Such an incredible band with the power to actually engage the audience in friendly banter between songs rather than just bore them with trivial nothings. I was laughing my ass off. Yes LMAO. No, seriously, they made me giggle uncontrollably, and left me leaving with a grin on my face. That is how a gig should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment