Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Boat People - 23 July 2010, The Sound Lounge (Gold Coast)

w/ Dan Parsons, The Bell Divers

I seem to be gaining this bad habit - rocking up to gigs late and missing the first act! And I hate myself for it every time, because as I found out once, years ago, sometimes the support act can actually become the reason for future attendance at a gig. I was at a gig once, at which The Boat People were supporting. They were due to release their second album Chandeliers in the coming months, and were previewing some of the song from it at this gig including "Awkward Orchid Orchard". I had never heard of these four men before and I won't lie, was not expecting greatness. However after only their first song, I knew I had found my calling in life. I would become a groupie! Haha! In all seriousness though, for me, since that first gig The Boat People have only achieved greatness producing brilliant live shows which display the diversity and depth of the group. Their new record Dear Darkly shows just how far they have come. But enough history. Back to the night at hand.

Like I mentioned, I missed The Bell Divers and was a little disheartened that I could not ask people what they thought. (This not being the Troub and all...) Regardless, as we arrived we were greeted with the presence that is Dan Parsons setting up on stage. He opened with an acoustic version of "This City" which I thought was an interesting way to start a set, but it actually worked really well. He then brought to the stage his band, Lovecreep, to see out the rest of the set. On a side note, his guitarist I realised just this night is Steve Grady, the same Steve Grady that I saw last week with Dan Parsons performing as his drummer. What a crazy random happenstance. But then again, this world is a little incestuous. Just a little bit... Moving on... I love Dan's work. He belted out one stunning pop tune after the next, with no recovery time factored in! It was incredible. He invited James O'Brien from The Boat People to the stage to help him with a couple of songs, and I just have to mention one in particular. Dan always has his effects mic with him, which never ceases to make me chuckle, and for "Run With Me" James had the pleasure of taking full advantage of this mic. The combination delay and reverb was just awesome. Awesome. Haha! Maybe a little over the top, but awesome all the same! This was a very different set to the one I saw a couple of weeks ago at his album launch. And I do believe this is a very good thing! The fact that he can bring such a diverse take on the same songs, shows that this man is going to go far!

And then came The Boat People. I have already spoken of their greatness, but add that to a pairs of white shoes hanging off mic stands and wedges, and you have the Dear Darkly album launch. Kicking off with "Under the Ocean" they moved through almost all the songs off their new record, and threw in some frigginsweet songs from Chandeliers as well. Unfortunately, as will always happen, the gig was a little spoiled but a drunken idiot. The majority of the audience was seated, either at tables or on the floor, however there was on guy who insisted on standing in front, making out and humping his girl. Let's just say that it was a little awkward for all those sitting behind having to watch... Robin almost lost it with hysterics at one stage. T'was so awkward. So, so much. Regardless, the boys did an awesome job, and it was good to hear so many songs off their new record which I had not previously hear live! New masterpieces like "Cat's Collar" and "Damn Defensive" and old favorites like "Born in the 80s". As they left the stage on that last song, I was a little saddened that they did not finish with "
Light of Love (You Got A...) ". They always tend to finish with that one, and I will have it known that it is by far my favorite song. But, to my great pleasure, they returned to the stage and announced they would play one more that had been cut from the set list last minute. And thus, the night finished with that same song I would have been disappointed to miss!! A brilliant end to a TOP night!

No comments:

Post a Comment