Monday, October 11, 2010

Hungry Kids of Hungary - 30 September 2010, The HiFi

w/ Big Scary, Ball Park Music

On the eve of their debut album release 'Escapades' Hungry Kids of Hungary kick started their national album tour with a home town show at the Hifi. The Album is bigger than Ben Her, and pretty much as awesome as the Knights who say "Ni". And with them on this national tour are two stellar acts in Big Scary and newcomers Ball Park Music. I couldn't imagine a greater tour to promote a brilliant album.

Opening the night were the crazy kids from Ball Park Music. As soon as the curtains opened, the fun began, and did not stop until those curtains closed, or at least until everyone was back on stage and behind those curtains. As of right now, Ball Park have a stellar set. They go from one hit to the next with no time to catch their breath. And tonight, as always, Sam was on fire. The group mourned the absence of Dean who was off travelling the world (The Brisbane tour date had been changed since the original planning apparently). As sad as this absence was, they played stupidly well. 'iFly' is always a hit, and each time I hear it, the band takes it to another level of crazy. Such talented little mofos.

Big Scary was up next, and while I love a handful of their songs, their other songs really don't do much for me. And while I really tried to stay enthused for the entire set, they lost me about half way. 'Falling Away' by far my favourite song of theirs is not typical of their style, but was easily the best song in their set. The drummer in that band is phenomenal. While they lost me with their music, she captivated me with how much presence she has on stage. The frontman, moved from guitar to keys, and back again. I know the set list they had enforced that, but it was a little messy at time, going from one side of stage to the other every song. I don't know. I really liked them the first time I hear them live, and I still love almost everything they've released, but live, they lose me, and I hate myself for saying that because they are just so talented.

By this stage in the night, the Hifi was filling up, and where the balcony wasn't open before, t'was open now. Kudos! But now, the moment we had all been waiting for, Hungry Kids of Hungary, and oh my, they absolutely killed it! The stage, now laced with fairy lights and blow up palm trees just set the scene for this album promo. Their set list was flawless, moving thought their singles to songs from their new album, to a sensational covers. Standing right in front of the sound desk is the place to be in the Hifi, and they sounded so so good. Their new hit 'Coming Around' was a crowd favourite, as was 'Scattered Diamonds'. I don't know what else to say. Last I heard them at The Zoo, they were awesome, but this was something more. For their encore they played their cover of Weezer's 'Buddy Holy'. And it went down a treat. By this stage, they had invited the Ball Park kids on stage and everyone was going nuts. They finished with 'Two Shoes' which I have to say, could quite possibly be my favourite tune. As they played this extended play out, Sam from Ball Park
jumped off stage with one of the inflatable palm trees decorating the stage and ran, battering ram style around the room, winding any and all who got in his way.

I have no more words, apart from brilliant, stellar and frigginsweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment