Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guineafowl - 18 November 2011, The Zoo

w/ Mosman Alder, Glass Towers

Another week, another gig at The Zoo. This time around brings the infectious Guineafowl, celebrating the release of their new single, "The Lie Is". Guineafowl never cease to entrance me with their sound, but it was the stupid the lack of people there were at this gig! I know, I know. Harvest. But! There were so many other awesome gigs on this weekend and I think sadly, they were forgotten. Well, It sucks to be you! You missed something special!

Opening the night were Glass Towers. This band tonight was another first for me and they were solid! They played to an empty room, but they still put on an enterraining show. Unfortunaltely however, they were a little one dimensional for me. The single "Lino the Lion" held its own, but alas, the other songs seemed to blur into a mush. The frontman had a voice that stayed in the one vocal range, which I think contributed to this. Something to ponder: what's worse than a drummer who speeds up? A drummer who follows when the bass guitarist speeds up. It was a little awkward. Sorry guys.

Mosman Alder, a band that I loved the first time I heard them, but the more I hear them live, the more they lose me. A thing that annoys me when listening to a band, if you're going to thank your audience, give them a chance to think for themselves and decide if they want to applaud your work before you thank them. This leads to obligatory applause, which is... well, onligatory. I also feel as though they have some useless members in their band. For example, the keys player basically doubles another instrument in every song. Whether it be tje violin, guitar or even the vocals. She never really had a part of her own. The thing that sustains my love for this band is the frontman's voice. His rich baritone is sensational, and makes up for almost everything.

Until Guineafowl took up the stage, the night had been a little less than memorable. But as soon as Master Guineafowl and his entourage walked on stage that all changed. The forst thing on their agenda? Get the crowd to the front of the room. And then the fun started. From the word go, they were out guns blazing. They played all the tracks from their debut EP, released earlier this year, as well as quite a few newbies. I can't go past "Botanist" as a dance track, but "Little Fingers" is all kinds of awesome in a completely different way. Theur new single "The Lie Is" takes the badn on a slight deviant to what they have been producing, in saying that however, it is an incredible new single. They finished the set with a sensational cover of The Cure's "Close to Me". And as soon as they started the song, it occurred to me that no cover could be more perfect for the band. Their encore tune was another newbie, and something that is much more reminiscent of what we're used to hearing from the band.

Needless to say, I am so very excited to hear what this band is cooking up. All I know is, it should be stellar if what I heard tonight is any indication.

No comments:

Post a Comment