Monday, November 14, 2011

Tim Freedman and the Idle - 11 November 2011, The Zoo

w/ Gossling, Holland

So, I've been to The Zoo on mroe than a couple of occasions and this is the first time I've sen rows of chairs set up at the front in preparation for a gig. Also, when I got there about a half hour after doors, there were less than 50 people in the room. Both of these things surprised me. I would have thought there would have been people lining up around the corner to get in to see Tim Freedman. Apparently not...

Opening the show were indie rockers Holland. I'd never hear the lads play before, but after tonight, I know I have found a new band to watch out for. The set opened with frontman, Jarryd Klapper, basking in the spotlight with a solo songs accompanied by his acoustic guitar. His voice was unexpectedly light with none of the heaviness I would have typically guessed by looking at him. A pleasant surprise. This seamlessly moved into the bands next song, which picked up the temp and brought in the full band. Upon hearing the full band, it again surprised me. I had the guys completely stereotyped in my head, and I should know better by now not to do that. They were the perfect genre to open for Mister Freedman. Subdued indie rock at its finest. 'No Control', the bands' latest single was definitely a track that caught the ears of the audience. One thing though. When Jarryd was singing, everything was brilliant. When he was speaking however, it was most awkward. If you're going to speak, just got for it! You can't be coy.

The charming Gossling was up next, with a set I was quite looking forward to. Having first heard her play a half hour set at BIGSOUND a couple of months previous, I was keen to hear her in a space where people weren't coming and going and making a racket. Not that element of tonight gig were dissimilar. I had been blown away by her stunning and unique vocals at BIGSOUND and I was blown away all over again tonight. She was joined by a couple of friends for the set, a bassist and a drummer and truthfully, It's amazing just what a difference it made to her live sound. After a couple of solo songs, she performed a cover of Ou Est Le Swimming Pool's 'Dance the Way I Feel' something she had previously recorded with Triple J's - Like a Version. My two picks of the set, 'The Only Way' and her final song 'I Was Young'. My, she's one pretty amazing young woman, and I hope she goes very, very far.

And Tim Freedman. Where do I even start? First, I shall make a disclaimer: this is my first time hearing his voice in a live setting, so forgive me for what I am about to say. OH MY! His voice is like sex on a stick!! As soon as he opened his mouth and the first note came out, it was like I was transported to another place and time. He played a selection of songs from his first album in six years, "Australian Idle" as well as some favourites we know and love from The Whitlams. His new band The Idle are a diverse mix, but damn! They produce an awesome sound. While each is talented in his or her own way, Mister Freedman's duet with guitar/keys player, Amy Vee, was a touching song that was brilliantly executed! The keys heavy ensemble were a joy to listen to, and their hour and twenty minute set seemed to pass in a plash. For me, this is the sign of something truly special.

I was moved by the amount of talent in the room this evening, and not even the drunk person sitting next to me shouting charged comments could stop my from saying this was indeed a splendid gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment