Sunday, January 27, 2013

I Heart Hiroshima - 22 January 2013, Alhambra Lounge

It is such a special occasion when a band reunites for a show, no matter how big or small they may be. I Heart Hiroshima did just this for the Gold Coast Big Day Out with members flying half way across the world to make it happen. It's even more special when said band puts on a slightly sneaky headline show a couple of days later to make the union all that more special.

Up first, playing for a fairly thin crowd was Cobwebbs. And in my own personal opinion, I had no idea what the deal was with this group of guys. It was like a garage band had been thrust unexpectedly onto the stage and told to play. The frontman was stumbling all over the place like he was on something and the instrumentalists just looked bored, with one of the guitarists performing the entire set with his back to the crowd. I get that I Heart Hiroshima started off as an underground band and all that, but this was a different kind of raw. Hey, that’s just my opinion.

Next up was Tight Slip, who was another interesting kind of a band. Donning his pink stretchers, the frontman had a voice that reminded me all too fondly of the colour grey. It was good and fine, yet uninteresting. In saying this, the music the guitars were producing was awesome. It was well construed and inviting, so I guess the simplicity of the vocals on top works. Of note was the last song the band played. It had a wicked guitar solo, and I so wish there had been more of it!

Once I Heart Hiroshima hit the stage, the whole dynamic of the venue changed. Alhambra was full, not packed, but nicely full, and the band responded to this in a big way. Susie Patten throughout the gig just kept saying with all sincerity how appreciative they were that everyone came out on a Tuesday night to see them play. She also remarked that this gig meant so much more to them than their set at BDO.

IHH knocked my socks off. They played heaps of songs from Tuff Teef as well as The Rip, but it was sons like “Shaketown” that really got the crowd going. There was a group of barely 18 year olds right up against the stage who amused me greatly. There was not one moment in the entire set that they stopped dancing like maniacs. That’s the power of music and music played passionately. I've never seen a band more enthused by what they are playing than this band, especially Susie on the drums. In all, she broke at least three drumsticks, while Matthew Somers broke two guitar strings on the last “official” song alone and had to borrow a guitar for the encore. You know you've played a good gig when things break, right?

This gig has restored my faith in indie music, but it is a sad day when you know that you may never see the band play again. But that’s music for you. Bands come, bands go. However, never let it be said that they will be forgotten. Come and play again one day IHH. Yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment