Friday, January 11, 2013

Two Door Cinema Club - 7 January 2013, The Tivoli

w/ The Vaccines, The Jungle Giants

Two Door Cinema Club. The first and only time I have seen the band play was at Laneway two years ago. They were amazing them, sensational now.

Likewise, it’s been a long time since I'd seen The Jungle Giants play, and it’s surprising even now how much you actually miss a good live act. The band showcased a whole range of their pop hits and certainly got the crowd dancing in anticipation for the main act. Frontman Sam Hales has extraordinary vocal talent and creates that crazy party atmosphere. Cesira Aitken is an amazing guitarist, and tonight was her first time using a mic, and In “Mr. Polite” she provided some “hey’s”. Cute. I do love this band and I wait in anticipation for some new recorded material from them.

Next up were The Vaccines. I don’t really know what they have going on, but I like to think of them as Punk-Alt-Rock. Their set was full of short sharp to the point songs, which was cool, and although I was a bit stunned to begin with, they won me over by the end and had me dancing like a fool along with everyone else. Their frontman was all over the place and eccentric as anything. Loved it. The one thing that brings all three of these bands together was their lead guitar parts. They all have a sound that relies on these solos and the unique sound that it brings. The Vaccines are no exception. The parts were really complimentary, and work well.

Where do I even start with Two Door Cinema Club. I love this band so unconditionally much and it was such a privilege to see them live. The production of the show was incredible and whoever does their lighting design deserves to be bought a drink. So many flickering lights flickering in time with the music! The band themselves were sensational, and the music was flawless, however it did seem like they have been playing the same set for quite some while now. They energy was insane, but it was like they didn’t care where they were or who they were playing for.

Regardless, no one in the room could dispute the fact that they put on a hell good show. They had the whole room, especially the lower floor, dancing like lunatics. Their second song, “Undercover Martyn” was stupidly amazing, and is still one of my favorites alone with “I Can Talk”, which they played later in the set. When “Sun” came around you heard many, many voices singing along with frontman Alex Trimble’s smooth voice. Throughout the set lead guitarist, Sam Halliday’s guitar, intrigued me and I wish I could have seen it up close. He is such a sensational player, and really makes the band’s unique sound what it is. They played a good mix of songs from the latest release Beacon as well as a good selection from Tourist History. This was a really good thing. I though we had missed “What You Know”, but was very excited to have them play it as their final song in the encore. Brilliant.

What a show. It was a privilege to see the band play, and but I do hope they mix things up. I know they age old saying, stick to what works or whatever, but changing things up is also a good thing. It would make it even more sensational!

No comments:

Post a Comment