Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hungry Kids of Hungary - 28 May 2011, The HiFi

w/ The Chemist, Andy Bull, Daniel Lee Kendall

This is one of the gigs where the supporting acts together themselves would make a stellar lineup, and would draw a rather nice crowd. But, throw in one of Brisbane, no Australia's finest up and comings in the Hungry Kids of Hungary and you have yourself a line up that won't come around again in a hurry.

I was so disappointed to miss most of Daniel Lee Kendall's set tonight. When they say doors at 8, you generally thing that getting there right on 8.30 will see you in time for the first act, but alas, he was most of the way through his set. That'll learns me. However, I did catch his single 'Lost in the Moment' and that's pretty much the reason why I love this guy. His other songs are awesome acoustic numbers that really are gorgeous, and I wish I'd been early enough to hear some more of these gems. Sigh, next time.

Next up was the stupidly talented Andy Bull, and when I say stupidly talented, I really mean it. Everything about him screams pizzazz. His voice it so deep in the complete opposite meaning of the word, yet, that's what I find myself thinking as I watch and listen to him perform. He tonight is performing with his band, which is something I have not experienced. The first and only time I have seen him was at the Troubadour (RIP) as a solo gig. This was something more. His band filled out everything that may or may not have been missing and just made it something special. We heard also from Tara Simmons on the track 'Dog' which was a little exquisite, but, and I won't lie, I was a little disappointed not to hear 'Last Waltz' in which the Hungry Kids feature. Regardless, t'was still an incredible set.

The Chemist followed on from Master Bull, and pretty much rocked. The only thing? Sound was CRAP! The HiFi is a hard venue to get right sound wise, so I've been told, and they really didn't sound all that great at all! Too much bass and drums, and not much anything else. A tad disappointing, but you know what? I love this band too much to let that get me down. I do love when they do the loops with 'End of July'. It's rad. They've got a couple of new ones since the last time I heard them, and I like! Can't wait to get another listen to them sometime soon hopefully. I will just also add, that the fact that they have a Piano Accordion in their band just makes them all that much cooler.

It's been a while since I've seen the Hungry Kids. They've done a whole tour, been overseas, and done another tour in which this is the final date. And you know what? They're in a whole different ball park then they were last time I saw them at the beginning of that previous tour. Remy now fits into the band like an old hand, and they just look so good. And sound, well Andy Troy did a sensational job, and made them sound quite the amazing. They opened with a new-y, and it was pretty awesome. I like where they're going with things. Also! They played 'Last Waltz' with Andy Bull on lead! (as well as all their awesome music) But I am quite partial song. I do like that they closed with my favorite this time around 'Let You Down'. And then really finished with 'Set it Right'. Nice set boys.

So. Wow. T'was a good night of brilliant music. Mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment