Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Husky - 12 June 2011, The Beetle Bar

w/ Montpelier, The Trouble with Templeton

In my 'haste' not to be early, I actually ended up being late and missing the entirety of The Trouble with Templeton. T'was such a shame, coz apparently they were pretty freaking good. Regardless, a gig with both Montpelier and Husky is an ok gig by me. Also, it was nice to be back at the Beetle Bar. A strange kind of a place that apparently holds 450 people... This I don't quite believe, but still, quite a nice place with a balcony and everything. It is however the standard in backpackers pubs, and unfortunately smells the part as well. Ok, now I'm just being harsh. The place is pretty rad, and has plenty of character. And also plenty of beetles decorating the walls, this is what makes it rad.

Moving on. Montpelier. It's been quite a while, and it's nice to see that the lads have lost none of their charm, but unfortunately, have not gained any interesting visuals while their on stage... This saddens me. They are kind of all kinds of brilliant, and when looking at them on stage, all you see is four heads down pulsing to the beat, engrossed in the music. Which is awesome, but there need to be a balance between that, and playing that connects with the crowd. Their songs though are just as stellar as they have always been. And I think I can finally conclude after numerous live performances and a recording, that the lyrics of 'Last Boat' go "Last boat out to see her" not "sea yeah". But you know what, I could still be wrong... Their new music is much the same kind of style as what they have been previously giving us, but I am stoked by this, and can't wait to hear it on record.

And Husky. Where do I even start with this band. They are kinds of incredible. Husky himself is a tiny red headed man, who is a little vertically challenged. This does not stop him from belting out a kick-ass ballad. We then move to the keys player Gideon. There are not too many bands that I know of who, mid set, will all sit down while the keys player plays a classical inspired number as an introduction to a song. I was blown away. It was beautiful, and straight after, right back into what they do best as a band. Their singles 'History's Door' and 'Hundred Dollar Suit' are definitely the songs that stand out, but that doesn't make their other songs any less brilliant. To top off their set, they performed a rendition of The Beatles' 'What Goes On', but with a slight twist. No mics, no amplification, just three voices, a guitar, some bells, and a shaker. I happened to be standing in the second row for this set, and as we all made room for them to come stand in the crowd, I ended up standing in the front, right next to them. And oh my, this was one of the single greatest musical moments I've ever experienced. They're harmonies were as tight as could be, and it was just so slick. I don't think I can adequately describe what an amazing experience this was. And you know what? In any venue apart from the Beetle Bar, this number probably wouldn't have worked. But being a long narrow venue with the balcony right above worked in Husky's favour.

One thing I have to add. Both Monpelier and Husky create perfect harmonies within their respective groups. There are bands that sing harmonies, and do it adequately, due to the fact that the guitarist probably isn't a singer, and then there are bands that have singers playing instruments. And what a difference that makes to the vocals. That's all I shall say, apart from the fact that this gig, and especially Husky, was something else.


1 comment:

  1. Drop us a line so we can get you on the door for some shows dan@sgcmedia.com.

    ReplyDelete