Saturday, June 11, 2011

Track and Field - 4 June 2011, The Old Museum

Last Dinosaurs, Ball Park Music, The Belligerents, The Jungle Giants

This was a gig that I wasn't going to go to. But you know what, I would have missed something truly special had I not gone, as it was something more. Great venue, great DJs and stellar bands!

First on were The Jungle Giants. I like what they have got going on here. A convergence of pop and something a little different and special. There's something, however, that I really don't get. They have a chick in their band playing guitar. I get that, but she didn't fit the rest of the portrait that the rest of the band were painting. They were all "rocking out" shall we say, and she was passively playing along. No doubt she's an amazing player, but sometimes you have to let your hair down as it were. Apart from that, I really liked. And I want to hear more. A lot more. Where do I get more!

The Belligerents are a bit of an enigma to me. I can't decide whether I love them or am indifferent. Two extremes, I know, but I can't decide. In one context, their songs all sound pretty much alike, however in another context, they're unique and intricate. Forgive me for being so indecisive. Regardless, they are an entertaining bunch of blokes, and that is one thing I do endorse.

Now, it's been a while, but I think I remember the sound of Ball Park Music. Aren't they the ones who sing about fucking loving someone? In all seriousness though, Ball Park Music are something of another caliber. From song one, they called Rich People Stupid, before moving on to saying it's Nice To Be Alive! Seriously guys, what do you want! Ok, seriousness. This band, especially their frontman, Sam Cromack have so much life and spirit in them it REEKS! And then spills into everyone in the room. This band have risen to such great heights since last I saw them, it's stupid. I believe they are going to have greatness thrust upon them, if they already haven't. One thing though, Paul wasn't up to his usual antics and is now a sitting keyboard player? When did that happen!

Finally, The Last Dinosaurs. They had big act to follow, and you know what, despite all the hipsters in the room, there was a certain vibe lacking from their set. It's been a good nine months since I saw these guys last, and I know they're going to have new tunes, but really in listening to them, their new songs did nothing for me. 'Honolulu' is still the hit, but there's nothing else that stood out... Is that a bad thing from a band that is so apparently liked? Also, have they got anything new out yet? Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but regardless of my ignorance, it hasn't really been that widely publicised. Forgive me if I am wrong. In saying all of that, they do what they do well, and I truly do like.

To top the night off, Dean from the Hungry Kids of Hungary played a DJ set, and you know what? It was all kinds of awesome. He could do no wrong, and had the whole place dancing up a storm until the Old Museum staff kicked everyone out... Such a shame. Regardless, the whole night was a stunning display of musical talent and opportunity. And hears hoping the next "Track and Field" in November will be just as wondrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment