Friday, September 3, 2010

Ball Park Music - 2 September 2010, The Troubadour

w/ Oceanics, Emma-Louise (Bonfire Nights - Rics)

Two new experiences, one old favourite. Epic night. Beginning the evening at Rics Bar for a little bit of a Bonfire Night, then traveling over the road to The Troubadour for some sweet tunes from the Oceanics and Ball Park Music, the evening was bound to be a success. Despite the fact that Washington with Scott Spark were playing at The Zoo. Nonetheless, this was no second best.

In the "interesting" venue that is Rics Bar, Bonfire Nights lit up the stage playing songs from their self titled debut EP, as well as new a selection of old and new songs. Rics is never the easiest venue to play in, and I always find that no matter who is playing, regardless of size or genre, the vocals are always drowned out by the instruments. But regardless, they put one a hell good set, showing diversity not only within set list, but also within their individual songs. Some starting off ballad-esk with guitar and vocals, then powering on adding drums and synth. I love how this band has two chicks over one guy. It makes me chuckle. I have to say, the drummer - Ruth was incredible! Not only is she a brilliant drummer, she also is an incredible singer, and to do both, talent. I also have to mention the synth player, she brought not only a harmonica to the stage, but also a saxophone. Brilliant.

Moving quickly on to the Troubadour, to try and catch the end of Emma-Louise's set, I was sad to discover that she finished her set almost as soon as I walked in. From what I heard though, she was a real songstress. With a quick change came the Oceanics, with whom I am now in love with. They are all about the good times, bringing the dance out in more than a few seated audience members. They have the kind of indie-pop sound that is hard not to enjoy and get into. On stage, however, there seemed to be a discrepancy between which way you play a guitar. Traditional or lefty flip! But on a more serious note, the two very talented guitarists had the same make of hollow guitar, different colours, different playing styles. To this add a rocking rhythm section, and you have the makings of greatness. I was disappointed to miss out on securing one of their demo CDs that were going around, as like I said, I am in love with this band. I really like their stuff, and am excited to hear more.

Another quick change brought to the stage Ball Park Music playing their last headline show before touring with Hungry Kids of Hungary on their 'Escapades' album tour. Man, these kids are shit talented, right? They have so much stage presence and from the word go, they are ready to rock a good show. Frontman Sam Cormack is one of the most eccentric stage performers I have seen in recent times. During the show not only was he found singing on his knees, or sitting and standing on the wedge, but also singing from guitarist Brock Smith's shoulders (while Brock was still attempting to play guitar). Incredible. Although the audience was considerably on the smaller side (I blame Washington) this did nothing to tamper the spirits of the band, nor those that had made the journey out on a school night. Highlight for me? I have to say 'Culture Vultures' and 'iFly'. 'Culture Vultures' is one of those songs that always gets me. As soon as Paul struts his stuff playing trombone the crowd goes wild, and tonight again was no exception. This puts a silly grin on my face. And 'iFly'? I don't think they could ever go wrong with that song. Tonight, add a slow sing along chorus, and commend the audience on passing AMEB theory, and there you have yourself a guaranteed hit.

If these guys continue on the route they're going, they are going to be the next big thing methinks. (Did I mention they also add a keytar to the mix now? It's pretty sweet.) Check it out man! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment