Friday, September 17, 2010

Valley Fiesta - 11 September 2010, Fortitude Valley

Night 2 - The Boat People, John Steel Singers

Valley Fiesta continued in style today, however I missed most of the day's scheduled events which was quite a shame. Fortunately though, the events continued into the evening with probably two highlights of the day, excluding those which I had previously seen in the past couple of days.

T'was exciting to see a return of the white shoes to set as The Boat People took to the stage for the first big event of my evening. I have said it before, and I will say it again, The Boat People are amazing. They have so much going for them, and their new album 'Dear Darkly' really shows what they are all about. Meeting somewhere in the middle of pop, electro and rock, they certainly have a sound that can not be ignored. Continuing to promote their new album in all it's glory, they set full of new songs, my personal pick for the night had to be 'Cat's Collar'. Previously the song had never stuck with me, tonight however, was something more. As always they ended their set with a bang with the crowd favourite "Light of Love (You Got A...)". No matter how many time I hear this song, it never gets old.

The John Steel Singers were up next, and having only seen them once before at a festival event, I was curious to see what they would do with this smaller venue. Let me tell you, they rocked! This band has something special. There are not enough Brisbane bands who can incorporate and trumpet and a trombone successfully into their line up. These guys not only successfully achieve this, but they do it with a certain je ne se qua. Showcasing both new and old tunes they captured the crowd and had them going with them as they moved through their set. November brings their new album, and if this is any indication of what is to come then I think we should all be excited!

Thus ends four consecutive nights of live music. I don't think there can be anything greater. In the past few days I have seen 18 full sets, with bits and pieces of other things thrown in here and there as well. Now comes the recovery...

No comments:

Post a Comment