Saturday, September 11, 2010

Big Sound Live - 9 September 2010, Fortitude Valley

Night 2 - The Medics, Guineafowl, Ball Park Music, Deep Sea Arcade, The Holidays

The lo Big Sound rocks on for another night of greatness. Let us continue...

First up were The Medics hitting The Zoo. Like many from last night, it was a new live experience for me.
I found their set quite the interesting, not so much in visual appeal - for unfortunate they didn't have the charisma that some posses - but more so by the diversity between songs. For example, ranging from acoustic number's like "Her Song" right through to their final tune, which was toward the other, heavier end of the spectrum in all aspects, especially vocals. I found myself really quite enjoying their set, however at the same time wondering why... I suppose some things you just can't explain. They pulled quite a decent turnout considering they had the early slot, and I do believe those who were there were shown quite the treat.

Rushing to the Troubadour I hoped to catch a little bit of Big Scary before moving on, however rounding the corner, I immediately saw the line to get in! Children Collide was playing there after Big Scary, and I do believe there were a must see, hence the reason The Troub was already at capacity. Despite my disappointment, n
ot all was lost. There would always be another opportunity this month to see them!

It was worth it to get to the Sonicbids Club House a little early, as by the time Guineafowl were just starting their set, the room had filled up quite substantially. Those who were there were blessed with a brilliant set of sweet, sweet music. On first hearing this band, some time ago, I really liked their stuff. On second hearing, I believe they could be my new favourite band. This is a big call, but everything about them sits just right, with the perfect mix between live sound synth augmented sound. It is obvious that this band, especially their frontman, enjoy what they do and the music they make, as it shows all over their performance in their faces and their actions. I really am in love with this band right now.

Staying in the one place for once, Ball Park Music took to the stage for one of the beat sets I've ever seen them produce. For the first time ever in my live Ball Park experience I heard the keys as a prominent instrument in the mix! It was delightful. Every other time, they had been there as a part fattening out the sound, but tonight was the first time I could hear a discernible keys part that stood out! And it was awesome!! Kudos to Paul. Not only is he a stellar trombone player, but now I can appreciate his mad keyboard skills. To top everything off, Sam put on his usual antics, jumping into the crowd to share the love with a more than willing crowd!

A change in scenery brought a bit of Deep Sea Arcade to Ric's. But seriously, for a band of that caliber to be playing at Ric's is a defiant recipe for disaster! The Venue is sooo small, that it almost made for a unpleasant gig experience. Almost. Regardless it was actually pretty cool being in the front row seeing all that was going on with the synth and such. I will also add that the drummer had a hard task. A kit barely fits on the Ric's stage as it is, and he was going nuts. So awesome to watch, thought I kinda felt sorry for him being so cramped. For me, a first, and I really dig. "Don't be sorry" was certainly a highlight for me. Such a good song.

So Deep Sea Arcade had troubles on the Ric's stage. The Holidays had serious dilemmas... Their percussion section took up a good chunk of the stage, then add the kit on the other side of the stage, while trying to fit two guitarist and a bass player with room to move and you a slight problem. BigSound should really have thought that one through a little bit more. Not to mention the following they pulled! Also! In the small enclosed space that is Ric's a miced wood block and cowbell actually have the potential to make ears bleed. As much as I really like The Holidays I couldn't stay until the end of their set, it hurt too much. This made me sad inside... I can't wait to hear them again in the future, as I believe they have the makings of something more.

So it is my conclusion that BigSound was pretty darn amazing. There were so many more bands that I would have loved to have seen, for example the likes of Eagle and the Worm and Boy and Bear, but alas. One can only be in once place at one moment in time. Wait! The week has not yet finished! The Bog Sound after party, Valley Fiesta, is yet to begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment