Thursday, September 9, 2010

Big Sound Live - 8 September 2010, Fortitude Valley

Night 1 - [26], Hungry Kids of Hungary, My Fiction, Washington, The Jezabels, Fire! Santa Rosa, Fire!

Crashing the Big Sound Conference after party was just the beginning of what was to be an EPIC night! I had a plan. It was foolproof. With Hungry Kids of Hungary being the only act I had seen live before, I was beyond excitement.
Finally an opportunity to see Washington and The Jezabels, two acts I have been dying to see for an age, and both on the one night! Half hour sets, 20 min turnaround. Yes, yes, it was only going to be a snapshot of what they have to offer, but hell, it's going to be the best of what they have to offer. Your time starts... NOW!

The nights started at the Artisan Gallery Stage with [26]. I had not heard of this band before at all, but seeing as thought they were on the same stage as the Hungry Kids would be, I thought it would be an idea to check them out. To be entirely truthful, I didn't enjoy them. I liked one, maybe two of their songs, but even in those something just didn't sit right with me. They used a whole lot of pre-programmed backings. For example, one of the tracks had an acoustic guitar and a tambourine playing as an introduction. I thought something like that (especially when the guitarist was not playing guitar at all in the song) would be achievable live. I guess not... Maybe it was that, I don't know. I still can't really pick what didn't sit right with me...

Next up on the same stage was the Hungry Kids of Hungary. And let me tell you, they KILLED it! They played their power set, rocking one single after the next, showcasing both the new singles including Kane's hit "Coming Around" as well as all the old favourites. Me, I can't go past "Two Stones". I love that song so much and I was so glad to hear it in this power set, amongst of all their singles. Kane and Dean put such a great face to the band, with Kane at one point jumping down into the packed audience to show off his mad tambourine-ing skills. This makes for such a better live experience I believe. So many bands out there just play the notes and try rocking out, but their guys have art of performing in their veins. Maybe that was what I didn't get about [26]. They had a stage presence but it didn't look natural. Hmm...

After a quick change over from the Artisan Gallery stage to the Zoo, I walked in on the end of Metals' set. This was a little bit a strange sight. I see a girl in a leotard with feathery shoulder doobies alongside a drummer and two other guys with their backs turned to the audience playing their synths facing the drummer... What I did hear was quite pleasing, if a little strange (the music now, not the set up). As My Fiction took to the stage next, I was a little excited. Heard of them, never hear much of their music. A strange line up for them though, the frontman being just a singer. No instrument. Apart from that, guitar, bass, skins (with sampler), the use-. I hate to admit it, but I was severely disappointed with them! The one song I had head of theirs, "Every June" I really liked, (and still really like) hence why I chose to see them over someone else, but the rest, not so much. Good performance though.

Running back to the Artisan Gallery Stage, I was just in time to get a kick-ass spot for Washington. I still can't believe I have been following her since her EP "How to Tame Lions" yet have never seen her live. Sad times I say. Regardless, I saw her this night, that's all that counts and let me tell you, she was on fire! She had the packed crowd eating out of the palm of her hand right from the word go. As soon as she walked onto stage to set up her keyboard, the crowd went wild. She played not only songs from her recently released album, but also guaranteed hits like "Cement" which I freely admit is a favourite of mine. I was disappointed not to hear "Sunday Best" . In a half hour set though, you just can't do everything I suppose. She is quite the eccentric performer and quite a stunner live.

Literally running for the Troubadour, I just made it in time for The Jezabels. Apparently almost as soon as I entered the Troub reached capacity. So glad I made it in time, because oh my, they were frigginsweet! At capacity, the Troub is a hard venue to play, due to the fact that it is so darn hot! Almost unbearable! Still, the show must go on. Regardless of only playing only a set of five songs, they utterly nailed it. Their opener "Easy to Love" went off like like you wouldn't imagine. I personally, was blown away. I love their EPs, and have done so since the first hearing, but live is something so much more special. The sound they make is so utterly different to what other bands produce. In part, I believe, due to the lack of bass, and prominence of the keys. Whatever it is, they really have something special going on there.

Back at The Zoo brought the final act of the night Fire! Santa Rosa, Fire! and to tell you the truth, there was nothing there. For me, it looked as though the lights were on, but no one was home. The chick singing in particular looked almost bored... I actually feel bad saying that, but it's true. Liked some of their songs though. I could have left it though, finish the night on the high that was The Jezables.

Whew! Night one, check! Bring on night two!

No comments:

Post a Comment