Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Chemist - 4 November 2010, Clubhouse: Tempo Hotel

w/ re:enactment, Lion Island

So The Chemist sound amazing on record and I was more than anything wanting them be as good live as I hoped they would be. And to my delight, they did not disappoint in the slightest. In fact, they blew my mind. And you know what, I was totally ok with that!!

So Clubhouse has moved from the seclusion of the Stage door, (the downstairs room at the Tempo Hotel) to the main room upstairs. It's not really a venue for an act such as The Chemist or any serious band for the that matter. Opening the night was a solo guy playing Crowded House and Matchbox 20 covers. Not really the opening act Lion Island had in mind I can imagine. They set up to the typical bar crowd, but I do believe that Tempo brought out the best of the bogans in the Valley this night. Lion Island have an interesting thing going on. Take a band with seven members - a kit, two guitarists, a bass player, a violinist, a trumpeter, and the frontman on vocals and guitar. Seven members, and only one vocal mic. With almost every song having all three guitars, the violin and the trumpet. For me, I thought it was just too busy, so many different melody and counter melody lines, but no solid harmony lines. I found myself wishing for a little less of the in your face solidness of the sound, and a little more of the delicate intricacies that make a good band.

re:enactmanet were up next with their own style set of wild idea. To tell you the truth though, something just didn't seem right with this band tonight. I have heard that they are phenomenal live, but today they seemed a little off their game. I blame it on the terribly dodgy venue, and the lack of supportive punters. By this stage in the night, and the night only began at 9:30, there were probably 2 maybe three groups of people actually interested in what was going on on stage. The rest were interested in the music and more interested in sitting outside getting pissed. The joys of a gig in the main room of a pub.

This was the same story for The Chemist in that the room was equally as empty. And you know what, it seriously broke my heart. These guys have such an amazing act going on, and should be so much more recognised then was evident this night. But enough on my rant on the room. This quartet have so much talent stored up inside themselves they're about ready to pop! Their infectious refrains in "Lullaby #1 (Mercy)" just reek of awesomeness. Throughout their set many infinitely cool things happened. For one, frontman Ben Witt brought out his effects mic, for which they performed "Sweet Dreams", a song which utilises a bells riff on the keyboard as well as heaps of other sounds backing the solo voice, including a drum stick being scraped and dragged vertically across a cymbal, and the bass creating a feedback loop. It was phenominal, and would have been the perfect opener to their set. Maybe in a different set list. The other cool thing that makes this band just that much more awesome is that face that they bring a Piano Accordion to the mix. See, that's just cool. Their final song "End of July" ended leaving Witt alone onstage with his effects mic and a loop machine. This ending just topped of the set for me.

You may think I am getting a little too excited about this band, but take
my word for it, next time they are in town, and hell, even if their not, go out of your way to see these guys. It is more than well worth it. I am just so disheartened that they played to an almost empty room. It just goes to show which direction Brisbane music is heading. We receive the news today that The Troubadour is going to close its door for the last time and people go ape-shit saying it's "one of Brisbane's finest live music venues" (which is a truth), yet the same day, I find myself at a gig put on by respected bands, playing to an empty room. If we want the live music scene in Brisbane to continue, or hell, even grow, things need to change!! At least this is my opinion. Take it, or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment