Monday, November 29, 2010

Never! - 27 November 2010, The Old Museum

The Boat People, Dan Parsons and Lovecreep, Dead Letter Chorus, Jewel and the Falcon, Seagull, Blame Ringo, The Retreat

So, what do you do when the Troubadour closes down and leaves a whole lot of bands without venues to play? Book out the Old Museum, have all the bands play on the one night and call it a "mini festival"! Brilliant! As advertised, the first 200 people through the door get themselves a copy of the The Boat People's "Dear Darkly". I got there around 9.30 and as I walked into the Old Museum, there were still piles of CDs. Disheartening. As I walked into the room (which is freaking huge let me remind you) there would not have been more than 150 people there. And Never! had been going since 6pm... I felt kinda bad. Half of those that were there were industry people as well! The Boat People are such an incredible band, not to mention the other acts playing this night, like Dan Parsons, Dead Letter Chours and Blame Ringo! And shit like this always happens to them! ie. venues closing down thus having to change venues, and when eventually finding an venue, they double book the night with an orchestra concert. They did get the venue over the orchestra though, so that is a good thing. But still! It's just damn bad luck I say.

Missing the first three acts I walked in just as Dead Letter Chorus was about to start. At first I wasn't sold. The chick singer had a bit of a whiney voice, and that never really sits right with me, but as their set went on she actually had me slightly captivated. This is a good thing. And I ended up quite enjoying their set. Go figure. I did quite like their song about travelling. Something about it. Also, their latest single 'The Peaceful Sleep of Death' was awesome! They ended their set with all member ditching their instruments, picking up some drum sticks and going for broke on toms. T'was an epic end to their set. Tight also. Mmm. I dig. Oh! One thing I also just have to mention, the bass player's beard was quite possibly the most impressive beard I have ever seen. Period.

Ok, so I thought it was just some weird effect that the guitarist from Dead Letter Chorus had going on there, but no. Guitars sound really quite shit in the Old Museum. Opening his set with a solo guitar rif, it was probably not quite the sound Dan Parsons had in mind when he started up. His Lovecreep tonight only had Steve Grady on guitars, bass and vocals and one other on drums and synth up the back. A little more full on than what we're used to having heard more solo and duo shows of late. He played quite a lot of his newer material tonight as well as a selection off his latest record. This selection however has been quite the reworked! For example, 'Run with me'! It's quite different from the last time I heard it with his band. All the responses being "you don't know me" as opposed to "no one knows the answer, no one knows the way home". Different, but good. Mixes it up a little bit.

As The Boat People took to the stage, they insisted that those dedicated enough to stick the afternoon out to its conclusion (remember, the evening started at 6, and time now was easily after 11) come to the front instead of lurking in the seats at the back. Good call! James looked a little worse for wear, but nonetheless they put on a stellar show. Tonight was actually the first time I had heard 'Dance to My Pain' live. It was good to hear them put in a couple of different songs into their set, and as much as I love these guys, they have been playing the same set for quite some time now... As usual, they finished with 'Light of Love (You Got A...)' and I'll say it the perfect end to their set! But it is so expected now. I hate to say it, but they need to mix things up a bit set list wise.

What I saw of Never! was incredible. But the whole event wasn't thought out very well. If you want to throw a "mini festival" even at short notice more consideration needs to be taken for those attending. I think of the people who had been there from 6pm. Six hours at one venue is quite an epic endeavour, that's half a day when you think about it. People were running off here are there for food runs etc. Ah well. Let's put it down to short notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment