Monday, November 15, 2010

Montpelier - 13 November 2010, The Zoo

w/ The Art of Sleeping, Jac Stone, Kate Martin

Just a short one from me, just hitting up The Zoo for Montpelier rather than the entire night of live music. So here's the thing. I love Montpelier to pieces. Their songs just sit right with me. However live, they are losing me! I have seen them a couple of times of late, and the first couple of times were incredible, but as things continue, the less I enjoy myself. I think that they are just a little boring to watch on stage, and I hate myself for even thinking such a thing, but it's true... Despite the fact that they had numerous guests on stage this night, including, Dave Di Marco, Hannah Shepherd and Will Weightman from Charlie Mayfair as well as Tom Wearne from Tin Can Radio on trumpet, I still found them to be a little dull. Here is my theory. I know that when playing live, you want to give something more than what is already on record, however that doesn't mean that in every song you need to add a long instrumental bridge or intro or outro. And Montpelier seemed to do this to most of their songs tonight. There is a fine line between keeping a track from what is on record, and changing and adding so much to it that it loses the conciseness and cohesion that made the song great in the first place.

Ok, so despite my criticism, I really did enjoy their set tonight. Their new single 'Last Boat' is stunning, and caught my attention from the very first gig of theirs I attended. Keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment