Thursday, November 4, 2010

Parsons/Grady - 31 October 2010, Brisbane Powerhouse

Dan Parsons, Steve Grady

I do believe the Powerhouse on a Sunday afternoon for Live Spark is one the most pleasurable ways to do away with day of weekends end. And then bring together Dan Parsons and Steve Grady playing a joint acoustic show and I do not believe you can do wrong. I do quite enjoy the fact that there are rows of couches lined up in front of the stage, with tables and chairs behind that. Such a chilled atmosphere, and so appropriate for a Sunday afternoon.

Celebrating the release of Steve Grady's new single 'Concrete Garden' Parsons and Grady teamed up to play both new and old songs in acoustic fashion. Steve opened with one of his previous singles, then passed over to Dan. This trend continued throughout the show, one of Steve's songs, followed by one of Dan's. I was surprised at how many new tunes Steve Grady had up his sleeve. I think he only played one tune off his previous release "Hotel Chelsea", and this is very good to see! His new songs have a certain sophistication and show that he has become a much more mature songwriter and has so much more to give. Dan showcased many songs off his most recent release "Firestarter" but in stripped back arrangements, as well as a couple of newies. During Dan's songs where Steve was playing a supportive guitar part, I kept noticing how much he was tapping his guitar. It was really prominent in the mix, and it almost killed the actual sound of the chords he was playing. I don't know, maybe that was just me, but I kind of found it a little irritating, as every time he has a sections with tapping, it was just so prominent! Regardless, the set was tight, and utilised quick changes from Dan between his guitar and his ganjo. (Self explained as a "banjo for lazy people like me") It's a pretty cool instrument, sounds like a banjo, but has six strings, thus can be played exactly like a guitar. Steve's new single 'Concrete Garden' is stunning. I do very much like it. However his last song, 'Did You Make It Home' was my personal favourite.

A chilled afternoon, with some stellar tunes. So as I said before, a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment